My experience has given me the opportunity to present many different trainings, workshops, talks, and events over the past 10 years in 8 countries, as well as working individually with clinicians and policymakers. I am available internationally as a consultant, teacher, and facilitator; please contact me to discuss your needs and how we can work together.
I have also worked with many groups as a community organizer, including founding organizations, hosting public forums, workshops and presentations, and organizational development. I have served on the board of several mental health organizations, including the Foundation For Excellence in Mental Health Care and the Mental Health Association of Portland, and I host the FM show Madness Radio on KBOO and syndicated on the Pacifica network.
My collaborations have included mental health consumer/survivors, therapists, nursing students, psychiatrists, domestic violence workers, policymakers, case managers, probation officers, law enforcement, housing administrators, parents, the media, and the general public. My consulting covers many mental health recovery related topics, and in addition to my experience in the recovery movement and my work as a therapist, I hold a Masters degree and Diploma in Process Work, have certification as a WRAP facilitator, am a NADA detox acupuncturist, completed a first year training in Open Dialogue with Jaakko Seikkula, and am an apprentice trainer in Emotional CPR.
Organizations and clients and I have worked with and given trainings, workshops, and talks with include:
- Lecturer, 2012 American Psychiatric Association Institute for Psychiatric Services
- Past Board member, Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care
- Hearing Voices Congress (Maastricht, Holland)
- Federal Office on Violence Against Women
- Alaska Peer Mental Health Consortium
- New York University Gallatin School
- Alaska Governor’s Council on Disabilities
- Past Board member, International Network Towards Alternatives for Recovery
- Smith College School of Social Work
- Platforma za oDrazovanje (Zagreb, Croatia)
- Kentucky Consumer Advocate Network
- Greater Oregon Behavioral Health Inc.
- National Acupuncture Detox Association
- Metanoia Association (Sarajevo, Bosnia)
- Ludruga (Zagreb, Croatia)
- Massachusetts Committee for Public Counsel Services
- Pathways Vermont
- Vermont Department of Mental Health
- Copeland Center for WRAP
- PEERS Alameda County
- International Association of Process Oriented Psychology (London)
- Long Haul Infoshop
- Process Work Institute
- Social Welfare Action Alliance
- National University of Ireland – Galway Medicine & The Arts
- Reach Community Development housing agency
- Community Alternatives to the Police, Portland
- Powell’s Bookstore, Portland
- The Icarus Project
- Portland State University Department of Psychology
- University of Massachusetts Nursing School
- Northwest Public Employees
- Oregon State Hospital
- Research Club
- SAMHSA Alternatives Conference
- Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine
- Stavros Center for Independent Living, Amherst MA
- Freedom Center
- Comisión Méxicana de Defensa y Promoción de los Derechos Humanos (Mexico)
- Asociación Pro Derechos Humanos (Perú)
- Safe Passage domestic violence shelter
- Rhizome Cafe, Vancouver Canada
- Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Unitarian Church of Vancouver Canada
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Mental Disability Rights International
- Centro de Estudios Legales y Sociales (Argentina)
- Janus Youth Services
- National Association of Rights Protection and Advocacy
- Recovery Learning Community
- Achterbahn and GFSG, Graz, Austria
- Homeless Youth Continuum
- Multnomah County Department of Community Justice
- Columbia County Mental Health
- Empowerment Initiatives
- Family Outreach And Response Program, Toronto, Canada
- National Coalition for Mental Health Recovery
- Voices Of The Heart
I have also worked as an individual consultant to policy makers and clinicians seeking to improve services and promote agency transformation, including trauma informed and recovery models of care.
Topics and fees are tailored to the setting and needs of the groups I work with. Some of the trainings I have offered include:
- >Living With Madness and Mental Diversity
- Responding Effectively to Suicidal Feelings
- The Family Recovery Process
- Introduction to Open Dialogue
- Creating Peer Run and Hearing Voices Groups
- Coming Off Medications: A Harm Reduction Approach
- Medication Empowerment and Optimization
- Trauma Healing: A Body Oriented Approach
- Creating Trauma Informed Organizations
- Effective Group Facilitation
- Public Speaking for the Community and Media
- Power, Rank, and Oppression
- The Dreaming Self and the Spiritual Dimensions of Mental Health
- Conflict Resolution + Mediation Skills
- NADA Group Ear Acupuncture.
Mental Diversity + Mental Health Alternatives
I have offered trainings in alternative and community based approaches to psychosis and experiences labeled as psychiatric disorders in 8 countries to several thousand participants, including peer recovery groups, mental health agencies, the police, hospitals, universities, domestic violence shelters, family organizations, lawyers, and clinics. I combine my personal recovery experience with 9 years of work as an advocate and counselor, and trainings are dynamic, experiential, and tailored to the practical problems and needs of those I work with.
Hearing Voices Groups + Peer Support Organizations
I have more than 10 years experience facilitating and organizing support groups for people who hear voices and have unusual/different mind states often labeled as “psychosis.” Freedom Center in Western Massachusetts has provided advocacy, education, and support for more than 9 years, earning awards and community recognition. Freedom Center and Portland Hearing Voices facilitates two of the first Hearing Voices groups in the US, helping people to live with distressing voices and extreme states; these groups have been extremely successful in Europe where they have spread to community agencies, residences, hospitals, and agencies (you can learn more about the international Hearing Voices Movement at the Intervoice website.). I offer trainings on setting up and running peer support organizations and hearing voices groups in your area, and ongoing support and consultation.
Supervision and Professional Consulting
I work with therapists, social workers, psychiatrists, process workers and others in a variety of modalities who need guidance and supervision for their clients facing extreme states and mental health difficulties. I do not take a programmatic approach, but instead follow the unique needs of each situation, understanding that professionals often face limited resources and difficult binds that pull them in many directions.
Supervision is dynamic and challenging, designed to quickly identify obstacles and create a set of new approaches that can then be put into practice right away. Methods are diverse and creative, including detailed examination of client communication, working with provider belief systems, studying power dynamics in institutional contexts, and out-of-the-box solutions such as somatic cues and dreams.
Entrenamientos y Presentaciónes en Español
Soy hispanohablante y he ofrecido entrenamientos y presentaciónes en Español en Mexico, Perú, y Argentina. Favor contactarme si tiene Ud. algun interés en invitarme a su comunidad.
Mi guía sobre como discontinuar fármacos es traducido a Español, y se puede bajar y imprimirlo gratis desde este vínculo:
http://www.willhall.net/files/GuiaReducciondelDanoDiscontinuaciondeDrogasPsiquiatricas1EdOnline.pdf y la ficha para imprimir es desde este vinculo: http://www.willhall.net/files/GuiaReducciondelDanoDiscontinuaciondeDrogasPsiquiatricas1EdParaImprimir.pdftarget=”_blank”>